Thursday, April 24, 2008

Asian Trout & Pea Vine Salad



I get weekly sale flyer e-mails and sometimes browse through them to find any exciting ingredients to plan a meal around. Today, I discovered Pea Shoots-they were on sale for $3.49 a package. I've never had them but they sounded interesting so I looked around online for a recipe. I found a recipe from the Washington State University Cooperative Extension (can't find the link now) that sounded really good. The best thing about these pea shoots is the nutritional content-they are extremely nutritious and full of antioxidants! They were delicious! They don't taste like much at first but then you get a bit of a fresh pea taste. So good-I will definitely be having these again.

Then, I had to figure out what to pair them up with. There was also a deal on trout-I LOVE trout. It was $5.99 a pound which I figured was a pretty good deal. I ended up getting a pound and a half and it was way more than enough for us. I looked for a recipe and found a perfect match, Asian Trout, on www.allrecipes.com

What a fabulous meal!

Pea Vine Salad

Ingredients:
1 package Pea Vines, rinsed
1/4 lb. Snow Peas
2 T Light Soy Sauce (I used Tamari)
2 T Rice Vinegar
2 tsp. Toasted Sesame Oil
1 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Hot Chili Oil

Directions:
Wilt the pea vines; drain on paper towels. Fluff and separate the leaves as much as possible.
Cut the snow peas on the diagonal into thirds. Place in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, rinse with cold water and pat dry. Whisk together liquids and sugar. Toss the pea vines with the dressing.

This recipe also called for toasted sesame seeds, but I forgot them! This salad is incredible.

Asian Trout

Ingredients:
4 Boneless Trout Filets
2 tsp. Soy Sauce (I used Tamari)
1 tsp. White Sugar
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. Minced Ginger
4 Large Green Onions, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions:
Rub trout fillets with soy sauce. Season with salt, pepper and sugar; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onions; cook and stir until golden brown. Add trout fillets and cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes. Turn fillets over, and continue cooking until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 3 minutes more. DELICIOUS!

No comments: