Sunday, January 13, 2008

Crockpot Steel Cut Oats



I found this recipe on a blog that I frequent often. It's called Sugar & Spice (http://chelley325.wordpress.com). She always has such great recipes! She is an avid baker so always has really yummy sounding desserts! Be sure to check it out when you have a craving for something sweet! I've made this recipe quite a few times-it's nice to have breakfast waiting for you when you get up in the morning-especially on a cold winter day. I used the crockpot liners which made clean-up easy.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups Milk
1 1/2 Cups Water
2 Green Apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used Granny Smith for the tartness)
1 Cup Uncooked Steel-Cut Oats
2 T Brown Sugar
1 1/2 T Butter, Softened
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Salt

Maple Syrup, Nuts, and Brown Sugar for Topping

Directions:

Bring milk & water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Place hot milk mixture, apples and the next 5 ingredients in a crockpot lined with crockpot liner (or spray cooking spray), stir well. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until oats are tender. Ladle oatmeal into bowls and top with brown sugar, maple syrup and nuts.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm so happy that you enjoy this recipe - my husband asks for it often. Thank you also for the plug of my blog!