I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Pad Thai, but it's not exactly the most "diet-friendly" dish. When I saw this version in "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" I knew I HAD to make it. And, am I ever glad that I did! It was really great!Pad Thai
(from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, page 92)
Ingredients:
6 oz. Rice Stick Noodles
1/4 C Agave Nectar
1/4 C Mirin
3 T Ketchup
3 T Tamari
1-1/2 T Lime Juice
1 T Thai Chili Sauce
2 T Coconut Oil (I used Safflower Oil)
14-16 oz. Extra Firm Tofu, cubed
1/2 Red Onion, sliced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 Scallions, halved lengthwise and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 C Bean Sprouts
1 Carrot, Shredded
1/4 C Chopped Cilantro
1/4 C Chopped Roasted Peanuts (oops-I forgot to chop mine!)
4-8 Lime Wedges
Directions:
Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the agave, mirin, ketchup, tamari, lime juice, and chili sauce; set aside.
Heat the oil in a 12-14 inch skillet over high. Add the tofu and stir-fry for 4 minutes (I did mine longer until it was browned. I would also recommend seasoning the tofu with s&p first). Add the red onion and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the noodles and the agave nectar mixture and stir-fry until the noodles are softened and evenly coated with sauce. Add the scallions, bean sprouts, and carrot and stir-fry until all the ingredients are well combined and heated through.
Transfer the pad thai to plates or a platter; garnish with cilantro, peanuts, and lime wedges, and serve. ENJOY!
3 comments:
One of my guests who attended my Thai cooking class doesn't eat sugar and suggested trying agave nectar. So interesting this recipe includes it! Did it taste the same as pad thai you've had before? I'm sharing this recipe with my friend since he was interested in ethnic dishes using agave - thank you!
It wasn't quite as "rich", but it was very, very good! I would definitely try it again.
It wasn't quite as "rich", but it was very, very good! I would definitely try it again.
Post a Comment