Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mediterranean Barley Salad


We have had a box of barley in our pantry for about a year. I didn't really have a clue what to do with it, so I thought about it for a while (ok, a long while). Since it's been really warm lately, I thought maybe some type of salad would be good. So, off I went to www.allrecipes.com and sure enough-I found a recipe that sounded really good-barley, corn, black beans, peas, and more-what's not to love?! This salad was beautiful, very colorful, refreshing and tasty. Now I wonder why that box of barley sat in the pantry for so long!

Mediterranean Barley Salad
(modified from www.allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
3 C Barley, cooked
1 Can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
1.5 C Frozen Corn
1 C Frozen Peas
3 Tomatillos, chopped
10 Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 Red Onion, chopped
1/4 C Olive Oil
Juice from 3 Limes
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste

Add the barley, beans, corn, peas, tomatillos, tomatoes, and red onion in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt & pepper together. Combine the dressing with the salad mixture. Enjoy!

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

You rock... because I have barley that I haven't used in ages and this recipe is totally doable! Thanks for sharing :)

Nicole said...

Thanks Joelen! I added a picture. This salad was great! The recipe called for cilantro also, but I was out.