My husband & I started doing South Beach diet about 6 weeks ago. We feel great and have both lost weight. In my quest to become more healthy, I decided to read the book "Skinny Bitch". It was a huge eye opener for me and we have both decided to go the vegetarian route-or at least work towards it. I also have the cookbook "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" that goes along with the book. It has some really great recipes. Today, I went into the natural food store and picked up some groceries for the first recipe-Waldorf Wheat Berry Salad. It was DELICIOUS! This will be a staple for us-we both loved it.
Waldorf Wheat Berry Salad (adapted from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch)
Ingredients:
1 C Hard Wheat Berries (available in the bulk section of natural food stores and many supermarkets)
3 C Water, plus more for soaking
1/3 C Safflower Oil
1/4 C Apple Juice
2 T Rice Vinegar
2 T Agave Nectar
3/4 tsp. Fine Sea Salt (I used Kosher)
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 Celery Stalks, thinly sliced
2 Scallions, thinly sliced
1 Sweet-Tart Apple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used Fuji)
1/2 Small Red Onion, diced
1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1/2 C Chopped Pecans
1/2 C Chopped Fresh Parsley
Directions:
In a 2 to 3 quart saucepan, combine the wheat berries and enough water to cover by 2 inches and soak, refrigerated, for 6 hours or overnight. (If you don't have time for the overnight, use 1/2 cup more water and cook for thirty minutes more, or until tender).
Drain the wheat berries, return them to the pot, and add the 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 50-60 minutes until the berries are tender.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the safflower oil, apple juice, rice vinegar, agave, salt & pepper. Once the berries are cooked, drain any water left in the pan and transfer the berries to a large bowl. Toss with about half the dressing and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Once the berries are cool, stir in the ingredients and remaining dressing, tossing gently. Serve cold.
YUM!
1 comment:
This is one of our favorite summer salads! So refreshing and different with the wheat berries.
Post a Comment