Monday, January 28, 2008

Santa Fe Chicken Pasta


Ok, the picture came out horribly-I guess I need to get hubby to change the setting for me. BUT, this dish was incredible! I found this on a blog that I checked out today-I'm so glad now that I did! Here is a link to the blog if you'd like to check it out:
I did make a couple of changes-since I'm cleaning out the pantry & freezer (still), I thought I'd use what I had on hand. I didn't have any snow peas, so I used frozen peas instead. I also used frozen corn which was good considering it was a southwestern dish. Anand gave this recipe 2 thumbs up!
Santa Fe Chicken Pasta
Ingredients:
1 lb. Penne (I used Barilla Plus)
4 Chicken Breasts
1 Onion, sliced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Red Bell Pepper (I substituted 1 roasted red pepper that I had on hand)
1 Cup Snow Peas (I used frozen green peas)
1 15 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
1 T Flour
1 Cup Milk (I used Half & Half)
1 Can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
2 T & 1 tsp. Chili Powder
2 T & 1 tsp. Cumin
1 T Coriander
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sour Cream for Garnish
Directions:
Cook pasta as directed. In the last minute of cooking, add snow peas and/or green peas and corn. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, season chicken breasts on each side with 1 tsp each of salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Grill (I used the gas grill, but you could use a grill pan) over medium heat until cooked. In a large skillet, saute sliced onion, garlic, and red bell pepper over medium heat in about 2 T EVOO. After vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes, sprinkle in flour. Toss to coat and cook through. Add half & half and heat until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese. When the cheese is melted, stir in tomato sauce, black beans, and the remainder of the spices. When everything is warmed through and combined, add in pasta, peas, and corn. Slice the chicken on an angle. Plate pasta and arrange chicken over it. Top with cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
Yum!

No comments: